BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 20, 2011

the nanny diaries

This is my second summer as a nanny and I love love love the kids I am with every day.  They are funny and quirky and moody and smart and silly and wonderful.  I learn new things about myself, about this job, about people in general and about my future every day, so for the past week I wrote most of them down... enjoy a small peek into my day-to-day life!

these are in no particular order so that the identities of  children who are the subjects of the silly anecdotes are protected :)
  • Always carry a book…. Always.
  • Playing “Guess Who” alone is pointless
  • Watching yourself grow up is unbelievably eye-opening… bossy elementary school sisters crack me up
  • A well organized gift-wrapping station is priceless
  • Sarcastically saying “You’re Welcome” to a child doesn’t always elicit a sheepish “…Thank you.”
  • Staring at a child long enough will always get them to obey
  • Making a “Room Cleaning Competition” is the best idea ever.
  • I actually enjoy scrubbing dishes as long as they don’t have ketchup, mayonnaise or ranch dressing
  • Having Dr. Seuss memorized is never a problem
  • Taking naps in a fort is always more fun than in a bed
  • Using words like “cannibalistic” is impressive when you’re 7
  • Behavioral breakthroughs are the bomb
  • Bargaining about TV shows and settling on “Cupcake Wars” shows signs of maturity in a child and a sweet tooth in an adult
  • Never ever move up North.  Ever.
  • Dirt pudding rocks at any age
  • Invent something to peel kiwis
  • Spa days > TV

  • Girls rule and boys drool, but boys are better at kickball
  • “Miss Katharine, this looks too good to eat! It’s perfect!” is the best compliment I could ever get
  • Learn to perfect the “Sandwich Assembly Line”
  • “I don’t eat vegetable” doesn’t fly with me
  • Handling 4 kids is not a problem so my dream of a family of 6 can absolutely work
  • Teach your son the difference between temples and testicles so as not to alarm the babysitters….
  • Hammocks are always a good idea… until they aren’t




  • Sometimes every body needs a sick day but Yogli Mogli can cure anything
  • Lots of love + lots of rules = lots of respect and lots of fun

No comments:

Post a Comment