BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, May 21, 2011

the happy list





For high school graduation, Miss Audrey Marie Coots gave me a book (which I specifically asked for...) called "14,000 Things to Be Happy About" or "The Happy Book" by Barbra Kipfer.  The book is basically a list of random things that make her happy.  For forty years this woman kept a list of all the things that put a smile on her face.  FORTY YEARS!




Now, I'm a bit of a pessimist, mostly in my head.  I don't like the title "cynic", "pessimist" or "Debbie downer" so I try to stick to "realist" but, let's face it, I'm kind of annoyingly "realistic".  I never think my team will win, never think my plans will work out, blah blah blah.  It's annoying to listen to!


So I tried Ms. Barbra's trick for a week 6 and a half days. And I LOVED it.  It's amazing what little things make me happy! Dumb stuff like fuzzy socks and QuikTrip and 3rd grade homework.  But, I encourage all of you to do the same thing that I did.  Maybe not make an actual list but really pay attention to the things that make you smile.  It really gives you a new perspective and makes you appreciate all the little things and precious people that make your life worth it!

121 Things to be Happy About 
(katharine's happy list)
  • Getting on the scale and seeing that you've lost weight
  • Saturday Night Live’s “Weekend Update” with Seth Meyers
  • Parents handing you money
  • Adults struggling over the children’s bulletin at church
  • Graduation Sunday
  • Getting top picks in the Church Draft (congrats, Dr. Cyndi!)
  • Wendy’s salads
  • Braves games and Turner Field
  • Dancing children
  • The Home Depot Tool Race
  • Will Manning and his sense of humor
  • Molly Henderson and her hilarious honesty
  • Michael Pfeiffer and his sense of direction
  • Greasy Varsity food and cheating on diets
  • Harper Lee and her impatience with tennis balls
  • Saying something at the same time as someone else
  • Short car rides
  • The Social Network
  • Koalas
  • Stomach Butterflies
  • Honesty
  • Falling asleep as soon as you lay down
  • Diet Mountain Dew
  • Cute workout clothes
  • All of my desktop pictures
  • LuLu at the AT&T store who let me have a new iPhone on July 1st for $50
  • OPI Strawberry Margarita nail polish 
  • Treadmills
  • Watching the rain
  • Strawberries
  • Quick Trip 52 oz. drinks
  • 3rd grade homework breakthroughs
  • Sidewalk chalk
  • Training wheels
  • Thespian Inductions and Roasts (we’ll miss you, Mrs. McCook!)
  • Gossip Girl with Audrey Coots and Kaley Tolar
  • Snickerdoodles
  • Aiming to be Charlotte York
  • Say Yes to the Dress
  • Facebook notifications
  • Surprises
  • Wedding magazines
  • Espadrilles and skinny jeans
  • Chicken Caesar salads
  • Playing with shelter puppies
  • Alvin the Labrador
  • Hidden kittens
  • Singing loudly in the car (with hand-motions)
  • Nerds Rope
  • Gnomeo and Juliet and Shakespeare humor
  • Yogurt Bars with sample cups
  • Yankee Candle’s Pink Sand car gels
  • Royal Wedding references
  • Pretending
  • Hiding in the bushes
  • Katy Perry
  • Heated blankets and heated car seats
  • MHS Chorus Concerts
  • Ukuleles
  • Acapella singing
  • Being an alumni
  • Old friends
  • My large DDD sweatshirt
  • Having softer skin after crying
  • Being in bed at 9:30 pm
  • Patience and understanding
  • Hulu
  • Extra hours
  • Organizing closets (seriously, I love it)
  • Sitting on the porch
  • The Nikon
  • My tennis shoes and Old Navy leggings
  • Feeling full
  • Clear Sterilite boxes
  • Working out while watching The Biggest Loser
  • Sauteed mushrooms
  • Rachel McAdams
  • Stomach butterflies
  • Modern Family
  • Made Beds
  • Bear
  • Design on a Dime
  • Target
  • Label Makers     
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Sprinkles      
  • My giftwrap holder
  • Coupons
  • New creative storage ideas
  • Pants that used to be too tight that are now too big
  • My white and gold Easter earrings (one of my favorite purchases)
  • Putting on full makeup
  • Barnes & Noble
  • Sitting in the wedding section in B&N and not having anything to read because I’ve already read it all 
  • Jihan’s NYC stories
  • Chile’s appetizer tray
  • Cake batter yogurt
  • Finding phones
  • Coming in the door with full arms from a day full of errands
  • Bear
  • Nice nurses
  • Good drugs
  • Wheelchairs after wisdom teeth
  • Audrey Coots and her sweet cards and delicious gelato
  • Chocolate mousse sugar free pudding
  • Precious Facebook messages from favorites
  • Taking 9 naps in a day
  • Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy sweeps
  • Belgian Chocolate Gelato
  • How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
  • Chicken ‘n Stars
  • Sugar Free Cool Whip
  • Michael Pfeiffer’s phone calls
  • My pillow
  • Harry Potter marathons
  • My Hello Kitty blanket from 8th grade? 7thgrade? Help me out here, Anna and Lauren…
  • Fuzzy socks
  • No sugar added orange sherbet (it’s like my personal 1 quart Frosted Orange!)
  • Funny puffy check pictures
  • 2-year-old Darvocet
  • My parents and their willingness to do everything and let me be lazy
  • My little blue Walmart Fan
  • Cleaning 
(i tried to add pictures to this but the formatting was all funky so you'll just have to use your imagination! xoxo)

No comments:

Post a Comment